Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Bokashi experiment November update

Further to the original post on 19 October 2008 here are a few pictures of the Bokashi that was added to my worm bin.

Here is what the bin looked like when I added the Bokashi about 2 weeks ago:
Bokashi Experiment

and this is what it looked like today:
WW Bokashithon

As you can see it doesn't look that much different, until you look a bit closer and see that it is riddled with worms.
WW Bokashithon

What you can't see from the picture is that the layer of waste is also thinner because they have been working their way up nicely, keeping away from the very top because of the colder weather, which has slowed the worms down considerably - you would normally expect them to have been eaten more than this but the weather has changed over the last few weeks and it is a lot colder. I might move one of the bins into the greenhouse so that I can see how much quicker the worms work in warmer conditions, but I worry about a strong sunny day getting them too hot.

Another thing I noticed was the number of fruit flies - it was riddled with them and I had to wait a minute before getting too close as the little blighter's seem to delight in flying up my nose! Normally I would wrap the waste in paper so they would have less chance of getting at it, but for this experiment we need to be able to see so I didn't bother. A couple more weeks of the cold weather and they will all die off anyway...

1 comment:

ALMOST MRS AVERAGE said...

Hi Simon - Long time since I've been in touch, but just wanted to let you know that I've got a special award waiting for you over on my rubbish blog. It's got something to do with bokashi of course. Mine's still going strong after all your help that you gave me over a year ago :-D